Chief Instructor – Mish Handwerker (Sensei Mish)
Sensei Mish believes everyone deserves a self-defense education so they can live a live without fear. This is what drove his interest in the martial arts, eventually inspiring him to begin teaching. Due to over protective parents, Sensei did not begin his martial studies until mid 1990, after he turned 18.
Like many, his training began in the Korean sport of Tae Kwon Do. It was during this time an instructor of his introduced him the Okinawan style of Ryukyu Kempo and the Dillman theory of Pressure Point Fighting. Not being a sport minded individual, the arts of Kyusho-Jitsu and Tuite-Jitsu, and the idea of a purely self-defense style was extremely appealing to him and this has been his main focus ever since.
While keeping Kempo as his main style, Sensei Mish has explored other arts and styles such as Modern Arnis, its younger blade cousin Modular Knife, Aikido, Judo, Kung Fu, Tai Chi, Small Circle Jujitsu™, and Kenjutsu. He has had the privilege of training with high-ranking and highly skilled instructors in these arts, most notably George Dillman, Professor Wally Jay of Small Circle Jujitsu™ and Professor Remy Presas the Father of Modern Arnis.
Sensei Mish presently runs Handwerker Martial Arts from his home dojo teaching Kempo and Modular Knife. He occasionally teaches seminars and is the author of several DVDs. Sensei Mish is also the developer and host of the web series, Kyusho Korner™ where each episode is dedicated to the exploration of attacking pressure points and other kyusho topics. He continues his studies of Kempo and Kyusho under the guidance of Grandmaster Mark Kline who he hosts several times per year. He also continues his Modular Knife studies under its developer, Grandmaster Bram Frank, also hosting his Birthday Bash Instructor Camp.
As his “40 hour gig,” Sensei Mish works in the security industry. Having worked in most of the industry standards… Bouncing, Contract Patrol, Access Control, Maritime, however, for the last decade + he has been in Healthcare Security.
Awards, Credits, and Certifications
- 6th Degree Black Belt – Ryukyu Kempo / Kyusho Jitsu
- Inheritor / Heir Apparent – CSSD/SC Modular | CRMIPT | Bolo | Combat Arnis
- 2nd Degree Black Belt (Dalawa Lakan) – Combat Arnis (Modern Arnis)
- Senior Instructor – MBC2 (Modular Blade Concepts/Combat)
- Senior Instructor – CRMIPT(Control Range Medium ImPact Tool)
- Advanced Instructor I – Bolo
- Administrative Director – CSSD/SC
- Certified Handcuffing Instructor (ASP / PATH)
- Certified OC instructor (OCAT / Personal)
- Expandable Baton Instructor (MEB / ASP)
- TASER Instructor (Previously Certified)
- PMAB Master Instructor
- DPSST Unarmed Security / Supervisor Manager PSID#27828
- BLS – Basic Life Support (CPR/AED)
- Life Saving Medal – Portland Police – June 2010